Oreo Truffles made with, you guessed it… oreo cookies. They are super easy to make and even easier to eat. They are crushed oreos blended with cream cheese and then covered in white chocolate. I first tried them when a co-worker made them – even though I had the recipe myself for a while. My original plan was to take these to work tomorrow to return the favor, but they’re already half gone. I don’t know what took me so long to make these, but I’m glad I finally did. I’ll put these right up there with my red velvet cake balls.
Here’s what the cookies should look like when crushed…
And, here’s what they look like before the chocolate…
- 1 package oreo cookies (divided… use cookie including the cream center)
- 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 lb. package vanilla candy coating
- Finely crush 7 cookies in a food processor or place them in a ziploc bag and crush into a fine consistency. Reserve for later.
- Crush remaining cookies and stir in softened cream cheese. Use the back of a large spoon to help mash the two together.
- Roll the mixture into 1" balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- Melt chocolate as directed on the package and then dip balls into chocolate, tap off extra and set aside on wax paper covered cookie sheet to dry. You can sprinkle the tops with the 7 crushed cookies for decoration. (I usually eat mine before they make it to this stage.)
- Once dry, refrigerate and enjoy!
I used a small cookie cutter to push the mixture through for the heart shaped truffles. Also, it helps to freeze the uncoated balls for a few minutes to keep the mixture from starting to fall apart in the melted chocolate. If this becomes a problem, dip them in the chocolate, let dry and then dip again. They are also good dipped in regular milk chocolate bark. And for an extra twist, use the mint oreo sandwich cookies.
Recipe amended from Kraft Food & Family Fall 2006.