Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
I needed chocolate to offset all the turkey and dressing leftovers I’ve been eating for the last few days so I made some quick cookies on Sunday.
Cookies chocked full of chocolate …
… and peppermint M&M’s.
I blame Target and their huge end cap seasonal Christmas candy displays for these cookies. I was shopping with my mom and walked right past these until she pointed out they were white chocolate inside.
Yes. White chocolate peppermint M&M’s. Yum.
So naturally, I had to buy a couple of bags. Some to snack on and some to bake with. And some to snack on while I’m baking.
Plus, it never hurts to have white M&M’s on hand for random decorating.
I used dark cocoa for the chocolate in these cookies but you can use regular, too.
Roll the dough into balls and bake.
I like to reserve some of the chips and candies to press into the balls after they are rolled so the chips aren’t all hidden inside the cookie.
It helps them look prettier and more pepperminty this way after they are baked.
Not that any looks would stop me from warm, soft cookies. Big bites right out of the oven are always a must.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special Dark if you can find)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white chocolate peppermint M&M’s
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, cocoa, soda, salt and coffee crystals in a medium bowl using a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture to creamed butter and mix until combined.
- Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips and then chill dough for about 30 minutes.
- Roll into balls. (Note: reserve a few chocolate chips and candies to press into the tops of the dough just before baking.)
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until done. Cool and eat.
Enjoy these “I can’t eat any more turkey” treats!