Hello Kitty, Goodbye Basketweave
Did I mention that I stink at piping! If I haven’t, let me say it now. I stink at piping!
My niece had her 1st birthday the other day and I wanted to make a little cake just for her. I decided to try my hand at piping a basketweave design. But, I guess I should have practiced first because it didn’t come out exactly like I had hoped. I started by piping all the vertical stripes. Big mistake. Then I piped all the short horizontal stripes. This wouldn’t have looked so bad if I could have at least made my lines straight. But, since I stink at piping, this is what you get.
See those horizontal stripes, they should look like they’re tucked under the vertical ones. (I’ll show you the right way in a bit).
But, if we just look at it from above, it looks pretty good. Almost straight, even.
I do love the little Hello Kitty topper I made though.
Just too cute!
Now, let’s see what the birthday girl thought about my poor piping skills.
Hmmm… she’s really thinking about it.
Yay! I don’t think she noticed.
Want to try piping a basketweave?
Here’s what it all looks like…
Don’t be scared. It has teeth, but it won’t bite. Promise.
Once your bag is ready, take a look at the diagram below. It’s from Wilton’s Course Book 2: Flowers and Borders.
It’s too bad I didn’t look at this first. Oh well… at least you guys can do a better job.
- Basically, you pipe a vertical stripe first.
- Then pipe horizontal stripes with spacers in between to make sure your widths stay consistent.
- Then you draw another vertical stripe covering the ends of the first set of horizontal stripes.
- Then you pipe another set of horizontal stripes. Start by burying your tip under the first vertical stripe to hide the end.
- Then you draw another vertical stripe to cover the ends of the second set of horizontal stripes.
- Take a deep breath. Take your time. Repeat.
That’s the abbreviated version. Hope the pictures help. The The Wilton Course Book gives much better directions.
These instructions are for your personal use only. To create Hello Kitty products for commercial sale, you must obtain permission from Sanrio. Visit http://www.sanrio.com/business opportunities/.