Chocolate, chipotle, cinnamon … sizzle! That’s right, I said chipotle, as in pepper. As in, why in the world would I put that in a cupcake. Well, normally I wouldn’t. But I was invited to join Iron Cupcake Earth, a monthly cupcake challenge using not so ordinary ingredients. I’ve been wanting to branch out and try using other flavors besides plain old chocolate and vanilla, so I figured this was the perfect way to force me to push myself. So I joined just in time to try this month’s ingredient: chili peppers.
I made Chocolate Chipotle Cupcakes with Chili Chocolate Ganache and Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Ice Cream. Yummy!
Chocolate Chipotle Cupcakes
Chili Chocolate Ganache
Here’s the chocolate I used for the ganache. It’s an organic dark chocolate bar with cayenne, pumpkin seeds, and cinnamon.
I also made some Chocolate & Vanilla Chipotle Cream Cheese Frosting for some of the cupcakes.
3 oz. chocolate with chipotles (Vosges Red Fire Bar)
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. chipotle chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 sec intervals., stirring in between until melted. Let cool.
- Sift sugar and add chili powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream butter and cream cheese and vanilla in a large mixing bowl on low until combined.
- Add sugar in small batches until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl in between.
- Set aside half of frosting and set aside for the Vanilla Chipotle Cream Cheese Buttercream.
- Add melted chocolate to the other half and mix until combined for the Chocolate Chipotle Cream Cheese Buttercream.
Note: If you are extra generous with your frosting and only want to use the buttercream instead of the ganache, you may want to make two batches to ensure your cupcakes are covered.
I had chili powder and cupcakes everywhere by this time. My counters were covered and my cupcake carrying case was full, so thank goodness I had this cute little cupcake stand to put them on. If I win. I wouldn’t have this problem. I could store them all in the fabulous Cupcake Courier. It holds 36 cupcakes by the way.
You can vote for me, I mean your favorite recipe here between August 31 and September 4th at noon.
The winner will receive these super prizes:
- the book, Hello, Cupcake, by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson
- featured prize from ETSY?artist Jessie “Cakespy” Oleson
- complete line of HEAD? CHEFS from Fiesta Products
- a great apron from Jessie Steele Aprons
- the Cupcake Courier
- the cookbook from Taste of Home
You can also join in on the fun yourself. Learn more about the challenge at ironcupcake.blogspot.com.