I sat down this morning to bake something and started looking through cookbooks I’ve been wanting to try out. I have several new ones and haven’t had time to bake from any of them yet. Maybe I’ll show you the ones I have next time and you can tell me which one to start with. I can’t decide. I love them all.
But deciding wasn’t my problem so much this morning because everything fun I wanted to make called for an ingredient I didn’t have. Ugh.
And I wasn’t going back out to the store. Nope. I was in comfy clothes mode.
Luckily, I had peanut butter.
And chocolate chips.
I pretty much always have those two.
So I decided on peanut butter brownies.
With chocolate chips …
I started by adding a half cup but then finished with a full.
Taxes are due Tuesday (yuck) so treat yourself (yes).
These are perfectly fabulous just like this but I thought I would frost them too.
I had more chocolate chips I needed to use up – you know – since I need to go to the store anyway.
Melt the chips and then mix in some peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar.
Yes – over the top and completely unnecessary.
Really, the only reason I wanted to frost them was to decorate the tops…
Like peanut butter cookies.
For the record, I think they are better without frosting.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 X 8 pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt together with a wire whisk and set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add the sugars and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread in the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
Notes: I baked these for 32 minutes but they really needed a few more for the center to be completely done. So to avoid the top turning too brown, place a sheet of aluminum over the pan about halfway through baking. Or you could bake them in a 9 X 13 inch pan for a few minutes less and get more brownies too.
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Stir in the peanut butter until completely combined and set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate and peanut butter mixture and mix until completely blended.
- You can add a teaspoon at a time of milk if you would like the frosting creamier.
- When the brownies are cool, spread the frosting on top.
- Go ahead and cut the brownies into 16 servings in the pan. On each serving make peanut butter cookie marks with a fork. I placed the brownies in the freezer for a few minutes first to firm so the frosting didn’t get too messed up when I cut them.
P.S. Smile if you see a brownie frownie face.