Say Good Morning with these Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
Here’s a sweet recipe if you’re looking for something to make ahead of time that you can pop in the oven on Christmas Morning. Or any morning. Like tomorrow morning. I created these for the December issue of Ladies’ Home Journal and they are amazing swirls of chocolate and cinnamon bathed in a delicious and easy vanilla glaze topping. And I totally want to make them again right now. Every time I make cinnamon rolls I wonder why I don’t make them more often. Oh my gosh. They are so good and simple for such a luscious result.
Sorry, I don’t have step-by-step photos for these since they were photographed by the magazine, but feel free to take a look at my pumpkin cinnamon rolls if you want a visual guide.
Okay… here’s the recipe.
Let the chocolate cinnamon rolling begin.
Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Filling and Icing
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 6 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla Icing, recipe below
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine warm milk, butter and sugar. Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand 2 min until yeast softens. With the bread hook attachment stir in the egg, salt and 3 cups of the flour. Mix well, then add remaining flour and mix until dough pulls away from the bowl edges, about 5 min.
- With floured hands form dough into a ball and place in a buttered bowl, turning to coat all sides of ball. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a very warm place until doubled in size, about 3 hr.
- Make filling by combining the sugars, cinnamon and chocolate. Butter two 8-by-8-inch pans and set aside.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 14-by-24-inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Spread with the melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture. Starting with one long end, roll dough tightly to form a long spiral. Pinch the seam together. Cut into 18 slices, about 1¼ inch thick each, and place 9 in each prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning remove rolls from refrigerator and bring to room temperature in a warm place, 1 hr. Heat oven to 375°F and bake until rolls are golden and cooked through, 18 to 20 min.
- Let rolls cool slightly then spoon on some Vanilla Icing. Serve warm.
- Vanilla icing - Whisk 2 cups confectioners’ sugar with 1 tbsp melted butter, ½ tsp vanilla extract and 3 tbsp milk until smooth. Makes 1 cup.
- NOTE: If you make and bake them on the same day, don’t refrigerate after rolling; just let the rolls rise a second time before baking.
Thanks Ladies’ Home Journal. I’m thrilled to be featured this month in the magazine.
There’s just too much deliciousness in December.
Wishing you guys a Merry Christmas and the happiest of holidays. Sending big hugs!!!!
Photo credits: Ladies’ Home Journal